Pets And Chocolate: A Scary Combination!


Why Is Chocolate Toxic To Pets?

Let’s start with why chocolate is toxic to pets and what can happen if a toxic dose of chocolate is ingested. The 2 main chemicals in chocolate that cause the symptoms we see in chocolate toxicity are theobromine and caffeine. Cocoa beans contain approximately 1.2% theobromine by weight so one ounce can contain about 0.3 grams of theobromine, and processed chocolate usually has smaller amounts. These chemicals are stimulants to the central nervous system. Our pets metabolize these slower than people and when large amounts are ingested they can cause an increase in blood pressure, irregular heart rhythms and possibly even death. After ingestion, these pets can also experience vomiting, diarrhea, or seizures. Also, the high levels of fat and sugar in these treats can lead to episodes of severe pancreatitis that can require hospitalized care. Many of these pets, once they have ingested chocolate, will need to be made to vomit to eliminate the chemicals but this can only be done within the first few hours after so the sooner a veterinarian is contacted the better for the outcome of the pet.

There are three main factors to consider when deciding if a toxic level of chocolate has been ingested: the percentage of cocoa in the chocolate, the size of the pet, and how much chocolate was eaten. Different types of chocolate contain differing levels of these chemicals and the amount is dependent on the percentage of cocoa in the chocolate. Unsweetened cocoa powder has the highest levels then baker’s chocolate, dark chocolate, and least is milk chocolate. White chocolate does not contain cocoa and so only posses a threat to pets in regards to pancreatitis. Baker’s chocolate, when eaten at 1.3 grams per kilogram of the pets’ body weight, can be sufficient to cause signs of toxicity. So for example, 0.4 ounces of bakers chocolate can be enough to produce symptoms in a 20-pound dog. When in doubt contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline to see if a poisonous amount of chocolate was ingested.

Then the next step is asking the question How much did they eat? Not sure? You should be able to look on the packaging of the chocolate for how many ounces (grams) of chocolate are in the product. If your still not sure here are some guidelines: a milk chocolate Hershey’s bar contains 1.5 oz (43g) of chocolate, a Toblerone bar contains 3.5 oz (100g) of chocolate, and a single Hershey’s kiss contains 0.2 oz (5.7g) of chocolate.

What Our Clients Have To Say

Brought my baby ferret here, Dr. Sam was awesome about letting me ask all of my questions and giving me direct answers (really bothers me when we see a vet for our cats and can’t get clear answers).

Katie Martin

The staff and doctors were extremely helpful and kind. I feel confident in their ability to diagnose and treat my puppies. I’m so thankful they were referred to me by a friend.

Patty Sisson

Most caring and helpful Vet ever. The staff are amazing and are so wonderful with all pets. They take amazing care of my two fur babies. I wouldn’t trust my two pups with anyone else. You can really tell how much the love animals.

Jean Hamilton

By far the best vet I have ever been to! We just moved to the area and by some horrible chance had two pet emergencies in our first month with my pets, Moose and Thor. Not only did they get us in same day..

Joe R

Incredibly grateful to the staff of University Animal Clinic. We have been a customer for over 20 years. They were able to take care of our dog Duke today for an unscheduled appointment for UTI. Couldn’t imagine going to anybody else.

Ellen Wolak

Very welcoming right from the moment I made the first appointment. Due to the COVID virus, I could not go in with my cat to see the vet but she called me and we had a great conversation. They took some blood and a few days later the vet called me with the results.

Cara Pabis

Awesome reptile vet! I thought there was a problem with my bearded dragon so I made an app to bring him in. Dr. Sara was knowledgeable, professional, and down to earth. UAC is clean and doesn’t smell like urine whatsoever. I love coming here and will continue to bring my pets here.

Tresha Keener

This was Tanks first visit and will be his only vet from now on!!! They were helpful, informative and friendly!! Thanks to everyone who works there!!! Tank had a great experience!

Dean Gibson

Yesterday was our first visit to this clinic. I brought my 6 year old Goffin Cockatoo Chance in for a wellness check and nail trim and also to discuss her ongoing feather plucking issues. Dr. Leigh Samanowitz was Amazing as were all the staff.

Margie Bauer

We’ve always had a great experience at University Animal Clinic. The doctors and team are all very knowledgeable and friendly. They get back to you in a timely manner and work with you when it comes to scheduling appointments.

Natalie Platt